Useful or Interesting Articles
From time to time I come across useful articles do with networking,
firewalling or Linux. Here is a list:-
- A useful article on choosing
Windows Network Time clients.
- Web Application Security, particularly using Open Software,
is of increasing concern in this modern times. This
out a framework for securing web applications.
- The firewall is a fundamental component of all computer
security strategies. However, the simple firewall is not only
restricted to safeguarding the user's valuable information - it can
also optimize the user's bandwidth. This article,
by Jeroen Wortelboer and Jan Van Oorschot discusses how Linux
firewalls can be used to shape traffic to optimize quality of
Internet service and to reduce vulnerability to DoS attacks.
- You can run, but it is difficult to hide on the internet, which
is why you should read this article on host
detection. If you didn't like that much, why not do some passive
host detection instead?
- I can never find this when I want to. Anyway, here is the Web
It is a sad fact that more and more machines are being attacked and
trojaned. Here are some links that give information about the process and
what you can do about it.
- You can obtain tools for
detecting whether you have been compromised, as well as a series of links to
other useful information. This is the chkrootkit site.
- This is another useful site that has information
about dealing with break-ins as well as tools such as IDSs and
- If you have been broken into, this is the "official" cert way of recovering from
a root compromise.
Copyright © 2001 Dirk Koopman, Tobit Computer Co Ltd. All rights reserved
$Id: articles.html,v 1.6 2002/07/08 18:27:20 djk Exp $